Twitter is dead! Long live Twitter.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Twitter dead now?

I have tweeted almost 7,000 times. There was a great time for me at round about my 3000th tweet.

Like most people, I joined twitter because of comedy. I'm one of those people that likes to make other people laugh. I also like to be made laugh.

And this is the reason why Twitter is dead to me now. What should be two way communication soon becomes just one way. I'll give you an example.

Someone with 10,000 followers makes a statement. I reply with a witty remark (oh yes!) I get nothing back.

Me with 170-ish followers makes a statement. Someone replies with a witty remark. I reply back (witty again). They reply (even wittier). We laugh.

I don't think it is because of arrogance on the part of the "successful" tweeter; it's just that some people are incapable of coping with lots of replies.

There is an unofficial rule that you give people about 5 chances to blank you on twitter. If they have replied to other people but not you, it's probably best to assume that nothing is coming back. Ever.

I have unfollowed people because they don't reply. Perhaps this says more about me than it does about you but that's my decision. As such, I now find that twitter is no longer a place for me.

Perhaps it's become too popular. The people who were first on twitter wanted 2 way conversations. I'm not sure that is the case now.

I know what you're thinking. Why do I need my witty comments to be validated by complete strangers (or friends in a few cases?) Well that's the same reason that actors prefer the live nature of theatre over the contrived world of the recorded show.

I like to feel that my comments have had some form of impact on someone. Otherwise what's the point of making them?

If you don't want feedback, don't post on twitter. Type it out. Then delete it.

I'm beginning to wish I'd deleted this now.

Comments